Monica Maria Lucia SEBILLO | Curriculum
Monica Maria Lucia SEBILLO Curriculum
MONICA M. L. SEBILLO, Associate Professor, PhD
Current Position: Associate Professor in Information Processing Systems at the Department of Computer Science, University of Salerno
Monica Sebillo is currently an Associate Professor at the Department of Computer Science, University of Salerno. Her research interests include geographic databases and information systems, Human-GIS interaction and geographic information engineering. She has a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science and a PhD in Applied Math and Computer Science from UNINA. Monica is involved in many international and national research projects and has several collaborations with professors from Italian and foreign universities. She also collaborates with companies and international organizations to applied research in the field of geographic information.
Laurea degree in "Scienze dell'Informazione" (magna cum laude), 1992.
Degree of Fourth International Summer School for Computer Science Researchers, 1995.
PhD in Applied Mathematics and Computer Science, 1998.
Italian (native language), English.
1998: Research grant funded by the National Council of Research (CNR).
March 2000 – Nov 2000: Postdoctoral fellow, University of Salerno.
Dec 2000 – Feb 2002: grant for research activity, University of Salerno.
March 2002- April 2016: Assistant Professor in Informatics at the University of Salerno
May 2016 - present: Associate Professor in Informatics at the Department of Computer Science, University of Salerno
1998-present Research participant in several projects
Referee for several international journals and conferences.
Membership: ACM senior member, AM/FM - President and Governing council adviser (Automated Mapping / Facilities Management Geographic Information Systems), GISIG (Geographical Information Systems International Group), ICA (Commission on GeoVisualization of the International Cartographic Association), ASITA – Governing council adviser, OpenGeoData Italia - member.
HONORS OR DISTINCTIONS:
Program Chair of international conferences.
Member of the ICT Expert Registry for the Italian Ministry of Economic Development
Member of the ICT Expert Registry for the Italian Ministry of Education, University and Research
Member of the Industrial Experts Registry of The Greek Ministry of Education, Life Long Learning and Religious Affairs.
Special Issue on Visual Analytics and Visual Semantics in Journal of Visual Languages and Computing (con G. Stapleton and G. Vitiello) 22(3)
Special Issue on Visual Languages and Techniques for Human-GIS Interaction in Journal of Visual Languages and Computing, Vol(18), n. 3, June 2007.
Series on Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering della World Scientific, - Proceedings of the Workshop MDIC 2004 - Multimedia Databases and Image Communication, n. 17.
- IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering.
- Journal of Visual Languages and Computing, Academic Press.
- International Journal of Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering, World Scientific Publishing.
- Geoinformatica, Kluwer Academic Publishers
- International Journal of Geographic Information Science
- Multimedia Tools and Applications
- Ecological Informatics, Elsevier
- Journal of Systems and Software
- PsychNology Journal
- Several editions of IEEE International Symposium on Visual Languages.
- Multimedia Computing on the World Wide Web, Satellite Workshop of IEEE VL2000.
- Several editions of the International Workshop on Visual Languages and Computing.
- Several editions of the International Conference Distributed Multimedia Systems.
- Multimedia Databases and Image Communication (MDIC) - 1999 and 2001.
- Several editions of the International Working Conference on Advanced Visual Interfaces (AVI).
- IADIS e-Society conference – 2004, 2005 and 2006.
- INTERACT 2009.
- Several editions of the Italian Chapter of AIS
- International Conference on Enterprise Information Systems 2014
- International Conference on Web Engineering 2014
- Several editions of the International Conference on Distributed Multimedia Systems
- International Conference on Visual Analytics Science and Technology.
FIELD OF SPECIALIZATION: Databases and Geographic Information Systems.
RESEARCH INTERESTS: geographic databases and information systems (spatial data, opendata, volunteered geographic information, geovisual analytics, continuous data, Internet GIS, GIServices), Human-GIS interaction (geographic mobile applications, geovisualization, visual summaries), geographic information engineering.
NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL PROJECTS AND ACTIVITIES (recent)
- 21/4/2017 - 31/12/2017: scientific director of the project "Un Digital Knowledge Ecosystem per Servizi di Intelligenza Territoriale" - Funding from the Ministry of Education
- 2014 - 2016: Participation to the “GI-N2K - Geographic Information: Need to Know – Towards a more demand-driven geospatial workforce education/training system" project, funded by EU Erasmus Lifelong Learning program.
- 2009 – 2011: leader of the 8.2 task “Validation Methodology” for the Plan4all project funded by EC - eContentPlus.
- 2007 - 2008: scientific director for the project “Interoperabilità di dati geografici eterogenei. MAPZoo come strumento avanzato di monitoraggio e pianificazione ambientale (Interoperability of heterogeneous geographic data. MAPZOO, an advanced tool for environmental monitoring and planning)”, funded by the Campania Region.
- 13/7/2006 – 12/7/2007: scientific director for the agreement with the Dipartimento di Patologia e Sanità Animale dell’Università degli Studi di Napoli “Federico II”, meant to realize a WebGIS to support monitoring and control activities for the CREMOPAR (Centro Regionale per il Monitoraggio delle Parassitosi).
- 2003 – 2003: leader of the task “Criteri per l’elaborazione territoriale di dati ambientali (Parameters for territorial processing of environmental data)” for the agreement between the DMI and ARPA Piemonte, within the "Centro Tematico Nazionale Territorio e Suolo – National Thematic Center – Territory and Land (CTN_TES)" project.
Co-authors of publications in international journals.
Co-authors of papers appeared in international conference proceedings.
- Member of the UNI / CT 526 "UNINFO APNR-ICT" Commission and UNI / CT 526 / GL 04 (with AMFM / GIS Italia and Stati Generai dell'Innovazione) for the establishment of the "Professional Profile on Geographic Information"
- Scientific representative for the Memorandun of Understanding with the Istituto di Istruzione Superiore Statale “Genovesi-DaVinci” in Salerno.
- Scientific Director of the Hackathon Online "Trasformazione di dataset spaziali open conformemente a INSPIRE", February 25, 2014
- General chair of the GISDAY@UNISA - 2015 GIS Day, November 18, 2015
REPRESENTATIVE SCIENTIFIC COLLABORATIONS (recent):
- Robert Laurini, INSA de Lyon, Francia
- Athula Ginige, University of Western Sidney, Australia
- Shi Kuo Chang, University of Pittsburg, USA
- prof.ssa Michela Bertolotto, School of Computer Science & Informatics, Dublin
- Sandro Bimonte, Irstea, France
Basi Dati (First-cycle degree in Computer Science)
Metodologie per la Gestione dei Documenti Cartografici e Laboratorio (First-cycle degree in Computer Science)
Laboratorio GIS (First-cycle degree in Environmental Science)
Sistemi Informativi Territoriali (First-cycle degree in Environmental Science)
Geographic Information Systems (Second-cycle degree in Computer Science)
Semantic Web (Second-cycle degree in Computer Science)
Scientific advisor of PhD students
Supervisor of several undergraduate students