Giovanni SPAGNUOLO | Curriculum
Giovanni Spagnuolo was born in Salerno (Italy) on 12 September 1967.
He received the M.Sc. degree in Electronic Engineering from the University of Salerno (Italy) on April 5th, 1993 and the Ph.D. degree in Electrical Engineering from the University "Federico II" of Naples in 1998.
In 1998 and 1999 he received a Post Doctoral Scholarship from the University of Salerno.
From November 1999 to December 2003 he was Assistant Professor and from January 2004 up to April 2016 Associate Professor of Electrical Engineering at the University of Salerno where, since May 2nd, 2016 he is Full Professor.
Since 1999 he is with the Department of Information and Electrical Engineering and Applied Mathematics (DIEM) of the University of Salerno (Italy).
He teaches basic circuit theory and power electronics to students of the bachelor course in Mechanical Engineering and Circuit and Algorithms for Industrial Applications to master students of the course in Information Engineering.
From 2010 to 2015 he was Senior Member of the IEEE and since January 2016 he is IEEE Fellow.
He is in the 2015 list of the Most Influential Minds from Thomson Reuters (http://hcr.stateofinnovation.thomsonreuters.com).
He is Editor of the IEEE Journal of Photovoltaics
Since January 2007 he is Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics
He has been Guest Editor of four special issues of the same journal
- "Photovoltaic power processing systems" (July 2008)
- "Efficient and reliable photovoltaic systems" (July 2009)
- "Fuel cells power processing and control" (December 2009)
- "Smart devices for renewable energy systems" (March 2013).
Since April 2008 he is Associate Editor of the International Journal of Industrial Electronics and Drives, Inderscience Publishers Ltd.
For his Department, he is the project leader of:
- European Project Leonardo Da Vinci "Energy Conversion Systems and their Environmental Impact" (I/05/B/F/PP-154181) (2005-2007).
- European Project FP7 "DC/DC COnverter-based Diagnostics for PEM systems D-CODE" (2011-2013).
- PRIN 2008 "Celle a combustibile ad elettrolita polimerico con alimentazione diretta ad idrogeno: sviluppo di materiali ed ottimizzazione strutturale ed elettrica dei dispositivi" (national coordinator prof.A.Stella).
He is the coordinator of research contracts financed by National Semiconductors Corporation in Santa Clara (USA), Matrix S.r.l. in Conversano (BA-Italy) and Bitron Industrie S.p.A. (TO-Italy).
In 2008 and 2009 he has been the Italian coordinator of the Vigoni project entitled: "Efficient and reliable power electronic circuits for photovoltaic applications". The German partner was the KDEE University of Kassel. The Vigoni project is financed by Ateneo Italo-Tedesco.
In 2013 he is the Italian Coordinator of a Galileo project, financed by the Università Italo Francese. The project, entitled "Rilievo di guasti in sistemi che sfruttano fonti energetiche rinnovabili: affidabilità ed ottimizzazione", is with ENSEM-Université de Lorraine-Nancy.
He is co-author of five patents concerning control techniques for renewable energy systems.
He has been member of the scientific committee of the Electrimacs 2011 conference, Paris, June 2011. He was invited by the organizing committee of this conference to give a keynote speech entitled "Optimal Control of Photovoltaic Arrays".
In 2012 he was invited speaker at the 22nd Italian Workshop on Neural Networks, May 17-19, 2012 Vietri sul Mare, Salerno, Italy. The plenary lecture was entitled "Real time techniques and architectures for maximizing the power produced by a photovoltaic array".
He was Publication Chair of the IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics, Bari, July 2010.
He is Track Chair of "Power Systems, PHEV, and Renewable Energy" for the IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics, Hangzhou, May 2012.
He is Chairman of the "Committee on Renewable Energy Systems" of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society. Moreover he is member of the:
- "Power Systems and Power Electronic Circuits Technical Committee" of the IEEE Circuits and Systems Society
- "Committee on Simulation, Modeling and Control" of the IEEE Power Electronics Society
Since 2007 he is member of the Review Committee of the 14th Track "Power Electronics" for the IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems (ISCAS).
In 2010 he has been reviewer of one research project submitted to the United States-Israel Binational Science Foundation.
In September 2009 he has been one of the invited speakers of the "Energy Day" in the frame of the conference IEEE ETFA 2009 (http://www.etfa2009.org/program/energy-day)
He organized the following Special Sessions in the frame of IEEE international conferences:
1. "Power Electronics for Photovoltaics" IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics (ISIE), Vigo, June 2007;
2. "Power electronics dedicated to a single photovoltaic module: grid-connected and stand-alone applications" IEEE International Conference on Industrial Technology (ICIT), Vina del Mar, Chile, March 2010;
3. "Granular Control of Renewable Energy Systems" IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics, Bari, July 2010;
4. "Reliability and Performance Indexes of Renewable Energy Systems" IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics, Bari, July 2010;
5. "Increased Penetration of Sustainable Energy Sources into the Grid: Instruments and Effects" IEEE Industrial Electronics Conference, Arizona, November 2010;
6. "Smart devices for renewable energy systems" IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics, Gdansk, July 2011;
He has been co-chair of the Special Session entitled "Renewable energy sources" at the IEEE Industrial Electronics Conference (IECON) 2006, Paris, November 2006.
He serves as reviewer of: IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, IEEE Industrial Electronics Magazine, IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, The International Journal for Computation and Mathematics in Electrical and Electronic Engineering (COMPEL), IEE Proceedings on Control Theory & Applications, International Journal of Circuit Theory and Applications, Elsevier Journal on Computers and Mathematics with Applications and for IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems (ISCAS), IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics (ISIE), IEEE Industrial Electronics Conference (IECON), IEEE Power Electronics Specialists Conference (PESC).
He is chairman of the IEEE Seminar on Renewable Energy Systems (http://serene.unisa.it).
He is member of the Patents Committee of the University of Salerno.
He is author/co-author of more than 60 papers published in international journals and more than 100 in proceedings of international conferences.